Saturday, September 27, 2008

Chasing The Pack through the 'Tube'

And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell
and I understood more than I saw;
for I was seeing in a sacred manner
the shapes of all things in the spirit,
and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being.

Black Elk (1863-1950) Medicine Man of the Lakota (Sioux)


You would have needed to have been living in the Land of the Lost, in hibernation or deep frozen over the past several years not to have heard of YouTube. I've never done a major exploration here myself, but am glad this exercise has given me the excuse to do so at last. I've been a bit hesitant to get hooked in to this site, but can certainly see it's merits. You can choose to be entertained, educated, informed, etc as well, of course, as being a provider of such things. Like anything, it is viewer beware, remembering not everything necessarily follows the "seeing is believing" maxim. Great resource when you're feeling nostalgic for seeking out those old '60's & '70's westerns, or similarly vintaged music video clips. However, surprise surprise, I chose to focus my quest on canis lupus - my spirit friend The Wolf. I found some here that tell about the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone National Park and how they have changed the landscape there - in some opinions not for the better; there are others dealing with an aerial campaign being waged against them in Alaska, with US Vice-Presidential wannabe Sarah Palin at the forefront.
However, the clip I have chosen to display here is one about the recent discovery of wolf pups in Washington - the newest members of the first confirmed wolf pack in the state since the 1930's, believed to have ventured down from Canada, where there are still healthy wild populations. They haven't faced the same type of persecutions north of the border as the Lower 48 wolf populations have, and this film shows that given space and time, Mother Nature will find her own way of putting back some of the balance we have, sometimes deliberately, destroyed. There is also a clip giving the pups howling - I hope you enjoy some of these wonderful sights and sounds.



No comments: