Monday, September 22, 2008

And the Web 2.0 Gong goes to....



"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of our technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."

President Lyndon B. Johnson, upon signing The Wilderness Act of 1964

Well - is there ever a healthy helping to choose from here! As ever, I could spend way too many hours exploring all the sites associated with this exercise. I'm amazed at the wonderful efforts of some talented folk to entice others to explore their world. I was intrigued by what I might find under the "Philanthropy" heading, so decided to do my "Discovery exercise" there, and was not disappointed by the "Gong-getter" here - Incorporating petitions, donations, groups and tips, Care2 is an online hub of people who care about their world and want to make it better. Nice to see an organisation I am already familiar with, Defenders of Wildlife, has a presence here as well. This is a site I'll return to, and add to my bookmarks. Chances are I probably wouldn't have found it if it hadn't featured in the Web 2.0 Awards. The awards site could be a useful reference source for discovering websites which are considered to be "a cut above the rest" amongst the web community, and linking through to them from on-line library resources like pathfinders.

No comments: