Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Twitter searching - (not) hunting in the deep?

“The fact is, that among his hunters at least, the whale would by all hands be considered a noble dish, were there not so much of him; but when you come to sit down before a meat-pie nearly one hundred feet long, it takes away your appetite.”

Herman Melville, 'Moby Dick' (1851)

And my appetite for searching Twitter has certainly been taken away on this exercise. I guess I like my information in more than just the mini-bites dished up by Twitter, and in plain english rather than the 'tinglish' that seems to abound. For some people Twitter may be all they need or want, and that's okay, but it's not really for this lobo, I feel. After striking out with my first search about the resumption of the sanctioned shooting of wolves again in the Greater Yellowstone region, (I used various brief search strings, but almost everything that came back involved the movie "Twilight") I revised my search and went looking for "Japanese whaling". There were some good results on the Twitter search engine, although I did feel somewhat cheated at the very brief accounts, because understandably you can't convey a heck of a lot information on such a subject in only 140 characters. The links to longer articles or posts were helpful, though, and I can see in the coming weeks it could be a very good way of keeping track of what is happening as this year's "whaling season" gets underway in the Antarctic, so I may yet find myself making more use of this. TweepSearch wasn't the right option for this particular topic, but I did like Twoogle, and if I were to do any regular visiting to Twitter, this would probably be my search engine of choice. You can get your tweets and your meat, so to speak, in the one search, satisfying the news junkie side of me, and giving some real-time news-bytes at the same time. So, it would definitely depend on what you were searching for, but this could be worth persevering with, after all...



No comments: