Sunday, November 29, 2009

Alert - Today's news feed, tomorrow's food wrap


Life happens too fast for you ever to think about it. If you could just persuade people of this, but they insist on amassing information.

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr


We all know just how easily - and how much - information is accessible today, so to have tools like email alerts and RSS feeds to assist us in sifting through some of the deluge is good news. AccessScience is relatively easy and straightforward to use, but Proquest is another story. Setting up email alerts was a simple task, but I experienced the same problems as others when it came to RSS feeds. I wasn't won over with RSS in '23 Things' but I did persevere here, and it worked on the second try. My first search strategy gave some good results, but when nothing more appeared over the following several weeks, I refined my search terms. Once this was done, I was satisfied with the results delivered, although actually accessing the articles is rather frustrating. Somehow, to have to copy and paste the link seems a backward step, but fortunately this isn't so with most RSS feeds. Because of this messy process, I'm not sure I'd especially recommend Proquest for RSS feeds. Having now set up feeds and alerts, though, I have yet more information accumulating, and will feel obliged to have to return to it from time to time. However, feeling like I already spend more than enough time interacting with a computer screen, rather than Life, this information junkie may soon be turning off those feeds... Sometimes you just have to know when to say "STOP".

No comments: