Friday, November 6, 2009

OpenID - WHO are YOU? (Who, Who) Who's asking??


"Where id was, there shall ego be"

Sigmund Freud (1856-1939)




OpenID sounds good in theory, and no doubt for people who do spend a lot of time online, it is probably a very useful thing to know about, but I don't think I'm likely to "sign on". It sounds a bit like letting someone else have the keys, and forget that you should be taking some responsibility yourself for your own online security and wellbeing. We hear stories about the 'fun' some people like to derive from creating online mischief - why should OpenID be any different? Personally I have better things to do with my time, but I know there are plenty of people out there who would delight in being able to indulge in some 'online vandalism' and OpenID could be a great place to stir such havoc. We seem to be all-too-quick to leap to new ways of making our lives 'easier', but like everything - the more gadgetry, the more there is to beware of. I will certainly keep my eye out for the OpenID tag and icon on sites, though, and if I feel it could be helpful in the future, I may give it a go. In the meantime, I'll keep charge of my own 'identities', and make sure my doors and windows remain my responsibility.

No comments: